A healthy weight is beyond appearance. It is not only about what you have outside. In this case, you’ll find out more reasons why you should watch out for your weight. As you age, you will also notice how a healthy weight can help you retain your body’s function.
There are plenty of ways to achieve and maintain a healthy weight. That includes healthy eating, physical activity, getting the right amount of sleep, and many more. But then again, various factors like genetics and medications can also affect a person’s weight gain. It is best to seek medical help about this.
Meanwhile, you may need reasons to motivate you in keeping your weight in a healthy range. This post will clear that area for you. As you keep reading this article, your mind will slowly decide to achieve the right weight for your body.
Reasons to Maintain a Healthy Weight
Weight is not just a number. It can represent how healthy your body is at this moment. As much as possible, you have to maintain it at a healthy level. Here are the reasons why:
1. Reduces risk of developing chronic diseases
An unhealthy weight can cause trouble in your health. Various diseases can develop if you will not manage your weight. That includes any of the following:
- Type 2 diabetes: It is a condition that involves high sugar levels in the blood. Other issues can also develop from this problem in the long run. For this reason, a healthy weight is necessary. You can achieve it by doing regular, moderate exercises.
- Heart disease: This disease is rampant in people with unhealthy weight, especially obese ones. They are at risk of having increased blood pressure. Furthermore, fatty deposits can accumulate in the arteries where blood flows. In effect, it can lead to a heart attack.
- Fatty liver disease or NASH: Aside from the arteries of the heart, fats can also build up in the liver. In effect, it will either damage the liver or develop cirrhosis. NASH clinical trials are ongoing to develop new drugs that can treat this disease.
- Sleep apnea: This disorder involves a person’s momentary stop in breathing. It is the result of having fatty deposits in the upper respiratory tract. In effect, the airway narrows down, which leads to decreased muscle activity. That is why sleep apnea occurs.
- Depression: One of the worse effects of unhealthy weight is depression. People tend to feel down and lose all the confidence they have in themselves. Moreover, they begin to lack their self-worth. It somehow happens after experiencing discrimination.
Other chronic diseases may occur because of obesity. Given this point, it is essential to maintain a healthy weight to prevent any of these diseases.
2. Increased fertility
Your weight can also affect your fertility. Women with unhealthy weight are likely to have irregular periods. In effect, it may become tough for them to get pregnant. For this reason, a healthy weight is necessary. Aside from that, obesity can also cause an increased risk of complications during pregnancy.
3. Increased mobility
You can move your body smoothly if you have a healthy weight. The body needs to remain active to ensure better function. Moreover, your movements will not become limited if your weight is within excellent range. It will not be difficult to get your body moving.
4. Protection against age-related diseases
As you age, you can develop age-related diseases. That may include diabetes, cognitive impairment, dementia, and arthritis. A healthy weight can protect you from these conditions. It is best to reach old age without health worries. So, maintain a healthy weight starting today, and sooner or later, it will already become a habit.
5. Promotes longer life
Among all the reasons you have to maintain a healthy weight, this one is the best. Your healthy weight can help you live longer. It means more birthday candles to blow for you. A longer life awaits you because you prevent the risks of developing health issues. Thus, making you increase your lifespan.
These reasons are not all that you can gain from keeping a healthy weight. Your mind may not be into it at the moment, but you can get through it. Sooner or later, doing the activities to achieve your weight will become a part of your daily routines.
Aside from that, you can also encourage other family members or friends to do it with you. In effect, all of you can enjoy the various benefits of having a healthy weight. All of you can share more memories. So, start reaching for that perfect weight for your body today.